Sunday, January 11, 2009

What will it take?

(I'll have more to say - extensively - about this whole experience later.)

A few days ago I helped my sister bury her husband, Gary, who died of lung cancer. The effects of this cancer are particularly vile and evil. At the funeral service the minister - who was Gary's own brother - choked out his closing remarks with the last words that Gary spoke to him: "Promise me you'll tell them to quit smoking."

At the cemetary, while waiting for all the cars to arrive and everything to get underway, I saw someone step away and light up a cigarette.
I made myself not slap him in front of his family and friends, but only out of respect for my brother-in-law - who had become my friend, and my sister and her daughters. Otherwise, the left side of his head would still be ringing.

Just so you know, if you are an acquaintance of mine and you fire one up in my presence I'll take it as an intentional, personal insult.

Intentional.
Personal.

No comments: